Who we are
The Morriston Hospital League of Friends is a voluntary body which was originally formed in 1943. At that time it was known as the Entertainment Committee. However, it was re-named in 1948 and became known as what it is today.
In the early days its aim was to provide entertainment (usually in the form of film shows) for patients who were originally injured troops. The volunteers also assisted the medical staff in a number of ways e.g. as stretcher bearers and porters.
Throughout their existence the Morriston Hospital League of Friends has raised over £2,100,000 which has been put towards the various projects within the hospital. In 1983 an appeal was launched to raise £90,000 to purchase special equipment for the Neurology Department. To reach this target various events were organised by the League one of which was a concert at Tabernacle Chapel in Morriston which was a resounding success.
The raising of funds to benefit the hospital and its patients is of paramount importance. The organisation of the Annual Charity Golf Tournament (now in its 28th year) proves to be very successful.
Other activities that the League involve themselves in are the Christmas Carol Service, and the regular Sunday Hospital Chapel Services, which see the League assisting in the transportation of patients from the wards to the Hospital Chapel.